Little Loves #1: World Book Day, Happy Valley and Mother's Day

This is my first time linking up to Little Loves but I think it's a great idea and hopefully it's one that I'll stick with it. Here's what I've been loving this week.

Read

This week I started Season To Taste by Natalie Young and my goodness, it's not for the faint hearted! Little overview - a woman murders her husband and tries to get rid of the evidence by cooking and eating him. Yep, really. In places it's actually quite stomach churning and difficult to read but also weirdly compulsive. I'll pop a full review up over on Judging Covers when I've finished it.


Watched

I'm a little bit addicted to Happy Valley at the minute. I thought nothing would top the first series but the second one is just as good. If you've not seen it, it's a police drama starring Sarah Lancashire set in West Yorkshire. The second series in particular has an amazing cast including Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) and Shirley Henderson (Moaning Myrtle) from the Harry Potter films. I also quite fancy the villain, Tommy Lee Royce played by James Norton, which makes me feel bad as he's so convincingly evil in this.

Heard

Capital Yorkshire have been running a 'throwback' feature over the past few weeks and it's been fun to hear some old relics on the radio when I'm in the car or sat in the office at work. This morning it was Beautiful by Akon which took me right back to my partying days.

Made

I'll admit that I'm a pretty lazy cook. If I can use a packet or a sachet as a shortcut then I will. Recently I've been trying to stick to a Slimming World diet though so I decided to make a Slimming World friendly shepherd's pie without the aid of a Colman's sachet and it turned out so well. I used tinned tomatoes, passata, beef stock, dried mint and Worcester sauce. Hardly revolutionary, but not bad at all for my usual standard of cooking!


Wore

As I'm sure you're all aware, it was World Book Day yesterday. Unfortunately I was one of the unorganised parents who left getting a costume until the last possible minute. Jack is really loving Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson at the moment so I thought he could go as one of the animals from that. Luckily I was able to pick up this cat costume at short notice (yes, I know it's the cat in the hat minus the hat!) and also painted some whiskers and a 'red little catty nose' (his words) on him. He loved it and had a brilliant time at preschool.


And lastly...

I know it's not Mother's Day until Sunday but Jack made this at nursery during the week and I nearly shed a tear when he gave me it. The bit about giving him fruit cracked me up...I do give him it but whether or not he eats it is a very different matter!


What have you been loving this week?





4 comments:

  1. Aw that is so cute!! He looks brilliant for a last minute dress up - Freddie's school wasn't doing it this year, but doing Shakespeare day instead!

    That book really sounds intriguing.. I both want to read it immediately and avoid it forever! I can guess it'll be working its way to me at some point! haha!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son's preschool didn't do anything for World Book day, I was gutted as I really wanted to dress him up! Think they really missed a trick not celebrating it. Hopefully next year ;) Love the cat costume, big fans of Room on The Broom here too xx #littleloves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww what a cute little cat! I'm lucky my kids school didn't bother with World Book Day, so no rushing round to find costumes for me thankfully. I'm on Slimming World too. I always loved to cook but I seriously need to sort out some quick meals I can make in less than half an hour when I can't be bothered to cook. When everything needs to be made from scratch it can become a bit of a bore cooking every night. Have a great week x #littleloves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Welcome to Little Loves!
    Oh man, how good is Happy Valley? I hate having to wait a week in between episodes. (And yes I fancy James Norton in this a bit too! ;) )
    Hope you've had a good week this week xx

    ReplyDelete