My 2016 Goals

Happy new year!

2016 is here. A bright, shiny new year full of promise. And with it comes the temptation to make a handful of resolutions that will ideally transform you into a better human over the course of the year ahead. I've been hearing a lot of skepticism regarding new years resolutions over the past few days, a fair amount of which I can understand. I eye-roll with the best of them when I see another 'new year, new me' Facebook status and I wholeheartedly agree that if you really are determined to make a positive change to your life then you should just crack on, regardless of the time of year.

But, still. A new year does symbolise a new beginning, not least because it's probably time to admit that living on a post-Christmas diet of brie and Baileys is no longer acceptable. So I've compiled a short list of six things I'd like to achieve in 2016. If nothing else, it will be fun to look back on next year and see how many of them lasted past January.

1. Live healthier
I know EVERYONE says this but it's one I'm really committed to - if only because I currently have a gym membership that I'm locked into for another 6 months and a post-christmas pot belly that needs urgent attention. It's not going to be about transforming my entire diet or hitting the gym seven days a week because I know that's not achievable for me - I will always be a fan of a Big Mac and a lie in. But it's about making subtle changes that will enable me to work a little extra exercise and healthier foods into my lifestyle. Because let's face it, good health isn't a certainty and it's not something we should take for granted. I know that my moods, my fitness levels, my general health and my waistline will all benefit from this so here's to a healthy 2016.

2. Blog more
When I started this blog I had high hopes of blogging multiple times a week but sadly that's fallen by the wayside. I'd like to say it's because I don't have the time but I think the more truthful explanation is that I'm just not motivated enough. And that I lack focus about what I want this blog to actually be which stresses me out and saps the enjoyment from it. Rather than getting worked up about that, I think the best thing to do forget who's reading, stop comparing myself to other bloggers and just write what I like.

3. Read more
Similarly, I'd like to say it's because I don't have the time but when Jack's in bed I generally choose to sit in front of mind numbing TV for a while rather than pick up a book. I have tons on my bookshelves that haven't even been opened. I'm going to aim for at least one book a month this year - maybe with some monthly reviews here on the blog to spur me on?

4. Put my phone down...occasionally 
This is going to be a toughie. My iPhone is admittedly like an extra limb and checking Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, the weather, Snapchat etc etc etc has almost become habitual. I'm not going to beat myself up about that too much because when I'm stuck at home with a rabid toddler on a rainy day it's like a lifeline to the outside world. But the thought of missing precious moments with Jack because I'm busy looking at 'funniest cat pictures of 2015' or getting outraged at the latest Twitter publicity stunt from Katie Hopkins is quite worrying. So, I think a sensible reduction in screen time is in order this year.

5. Save money
Another yawn-fest but one that is essential if we ever hope to get a mortgage. Ten years and several properties later, I'm getting pretty sick of paying rent on other people's houses so I really hope that by the end of this year we will be well on the way to owning one of our own. It's not going to be easy. Sacrifices will have to be made (goodbye, Friday night Chinese takeaway *sob*) but the stability of having our own place is important to me so hopefully we can squirrel as much money away as possible.

6. Be adventurous
No bungee jumps or skydives here but, having lived my life as a creature of habit, I'm hoping 2016 will be a year where I start to step out of my comfort zone a bit. Jack will start school in September so I'd love to be able to spend our last year together doing new and exciting stuff. And when he does start school and I have a little extra 'me time' I'd like to think that I'll have the confidence to work towards a more fulfilling job - maybe something that would make use of my vintage obsession? Who knows.

So those are my goals for 2016...what are yours?

0 comments:

Post a Comment